I have been making a complex chart in Microsoft Excel 2010. And I need to plot two data in one chart. These two series have much difference and the axes are not quite suitable for both. So I think it is necessary to add a secondary axis to this chart. But I have never used this feature, and don't know whether this idea is available. Could someone help me?
- Open the Excel document with the chart you want to change.
- Then select the chart to display "Chart Tools" menu in the ribbon. Click "Layout" under it.
- Then click the arrow as follows. Select the series which you want to add a secondary axis.
- Go to "Format" and choose "Format Selection" in "Current Selection" group.
- In the "Format Data Series" window, choose "Series Options" > "Secondary Axis". Click "Close" to close this dialog box.
- Well, you can see the secondary vertical axis has been added.
- If you want to change the display of the secondary vertical axis, go to "Layout" > "Axes" > "Axes" tab.
- Then choose "Secondary Vertical Axis" and select one display in the list.
Add or Remove a Secondary Axis of a Chart in Excel 2010-
- If you want to change the secondary vertical axis's options, right click on it and choose "Format Axis".
- Then "Format Axis" dialog box pops up. Click "Axis Options" and change options, such as minimum, major unit, major tick mark type and so on. Then click "Close".
- Next, I will tell you how to add a secondary horizontal axis.
- Go to "Layout" > "Axes" > "Axes" again.
- Then click "Secondary Horizontal Axis" and select one display , for example "Show Left to Right Axis".
- Well, the chart with secondary horizontal and vertical axises looks like this.
- If you want to remove the secondary vertical axis, just fix it and press "Delete" on the keyboard like this.
- OK, the axis has been removed.
- For the secondary horizontal axis, do the same step as the above.
- At last, you will see this original chart without a secondary axis.
When you insert a 2-D chart in a slide, and the values vary widely from one data series to another, or you have mixed types of data. In this case, you can add a secondary axis to reflect the values. Now this article will give you the detail.
By default, Microsoft Office Excel determines the minimum and maximum scale values of the axis when we create a chart. However, we can customize the scale to better meet your needs. This feature is also added in Microsoft Excel 2010 beta. Next, I will tell you how to change the scale of the axis in a chart.
Error bar is a useful and flexible tool that helps add detail to an Excel chart. A typical use for error bars is to show variability in the measures which are plotted in the chart. There are other ways to use error bars too. For Microsoft Excel 2010, the newest version, I tell about how to add error bars for a chart.
Related Unresolved Questions