Each computer on your network must have a unique name. If two computers have the same name, the network programs or operations will fail or not work properly and "a duplicate name exists on the network" error message pops up. To fix the error, you just need to change your computer's name to one that is not used by other local computers.
- Right click on My computer and select Properties.
- In the opened "System Properties" window, click on the "Computer Name" tab.
- Click the "Change..." button, type your name as you like in the Computer name edit box.
- Check OK and reboot your computer to see if the error message hasn't disappeared.
- Do not change your Workgroup name if you want all the computers on your network to be a part of the same Workgroup to enable file sharing more easily.
I have used Windows 7 for a while, the new system is beautiful, powerful and reliable. But when I want to print a document on my shared printer, the print job intermittently fails... What's the matter? How to Fix Windows 7 cannot use shared network printer?
I'm using Windows 7, and mapped a network drive from Windows Server 2003 computer. But when I want to access the mapped network drive, system just warns "Error occured while connecting to \serverpc\driveshare, Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use." What's the matter? How can I Fix Windows 7 mapped network drive disconnected?
I experience Slow Network Connection and file copy from and to the Windows 7 PC or laptop, taking ages to completes or connection disconnects, so I want to fix the problem. I hope someone can tell me how to fix slow network copy and connection drops in windows 7.
Related Unresolved Questions