The method of altering your registry is through the Registry Editor application in Windows. Modifying your registry is some pretty serious business. If you are not comfortable with doing it, or assessing the potential risks, don’t do it. Before we using it , we usually export the registry as a .reg file backup. When you finishing using it , you shoud import the .reg file to restore to the registry . Let me show you how to open registry editor in Windows 7 and backup and restore the Windows 7 Registry.
- Click on start menu and input " regedit " in the search bar and press Enter.
- Choose Yes if prompted by UAC.
- Now you can see the Registry Editor.
- The operation on regedit would bring some vital problems, we first backup the Windows 7 Registry. Choose File on the menu bar(in the regedit view), then click on Export.(see screenshot below)
- Choose where you save the exported .reg file to. Choose the All option under Export range, title a name for the .reg file, and save . (See screenshot below)
- If we want to restore the windows 7 registry, we choose File on the menu bar(in the regedit view), then click on import.(see screenshot below)
- Enter in where you saved the backup .reg file and choose it, then save . (See screenshot below)
- You will see the import progress window. Then we finished restoring the windows 7 registry. (See screenshot below)
- Restore the Windows 7 the .reg file backup will only restore the keys and values that were in the backup.
- Use Run to launch Registry Editor, press Win+R and type regedit to open it.
Registry is an important database which is used to store the information of system and applications. Some hackers or viruses may change the registry in your computer to attack your system. You can disable registry editor in Windows 7. However if your registry editor is disabled and this is not your mind, you can us Local Group Policy Editor to enable registry editor.
I just start to use windows 7 system, and I want to optimize my system, so I want to know how to disable or enable registry editor in windows 7. I hope someone can help me.
I have used Windows 7 for several months, it's beautiful, powerful and reliable. However, I cannot use the Registry Editor as well as import any reg files into system since yesterday... It's so troublesome for me. Is there any way to Fix Locked Windows 7 Registry Editor?
Related Unresolved Questions